It generally scares me to my bones every time someone asks “ is it ok to pop a pimple ?”
No, it is not. Time and again, I have said that it is not okay to pop a pimple. When you see a pimple on your face, or the face of your boyfriend, or on anyone’s face, LEAVE IT ALONE!!!
I understand the satisfaction you get by popping a pimple, but it is never okay to pop it by yourself; it may lead to other major issues of the skin.
Every single dermatologist that you visit would advise you against popping a pimple. It causes scarring and, in the worst of cases, infection.
When you pop a pimple, there is a high chance that it will cause more inflammation. As a result, the pimple would become more visible on the face. Because of this, it is always best to leave the pimple how it is.
There are only some of the most preferable and safe ways in which you should be popping a pimple. In this article, we shall answer your question, “is it ok to pop a pimple?” and take you through all the consequences of popping a pimple by yourself. This way, you will also be able to learn how to do it in the correct way so that it does not get more serious in the days to come.
When Is It Ok To Pop A Pimple?
Generally, non inflamed acne or blemishes are the only thing that one should pop when they appear on the face.
The non inflamed acne are generally the various types comedones, which form on the face when plugs of dead skin cells and too much oil gets trapped within the hair follicles.
Some of the most common examples of non inflamed acne are generally blackheads and whiteheads. Blackheads are open pores that have a black plug on the surface, while whiteheads are smaller bumps on the skin that have a white or yellow center. Whiteheads appear on the face when a blocked pore closes.
Because these kinds of blemishes are pretty close to the skin, it is not complicated to get the contents out of it.
The only whiteheads that you should pop are the ones that appear like they are ready to be burst open. Unless it is easy to pop it open, please for the love of God, leave it alone.
When Should You Leave The Pimple All Alone?
You may sometimes pop an non inflamed pimple when you take all the necessary precautions to do so. However, it is never a wise decision to pop an inflamed acne. That is the worst thing you can do to your face.
An inflamed acne has its roots deeper in your skin. Hence, they may more likely cause infections and scars if you try too hard to squeeze the contents out.
Inflamed acne may include all the following forms:
Papiles: purple, red, or brown bumps which do not appear with a whitehead.
Pustules: these are the bumps which have a yellow or white center with a pus of brown, red, or purple color.
Nodules: painful, swollen, and hard lumps that go deep into the skin and have no white heads.
Cysts: painful and swollen lumps that are brown, red, or purple. They even feel soft to the touch.
If you witness a blemish of this type has appeared on your face, visit a dermatologist ASAP! Some of the licensed estheticians can do an extraction in their clinic with their specialized instruments, which are sterilized.
They may also offer you cortisone injections. That would help shrink the nodules or the cysts and relieve you from the pressure and pain.
How To Safely Pop A Pimple?
Being gentle and being clean are the most vital rules that you need to keep in mind when you are trying to pop a pimple by yourself.
If it appears that the pimple is all set to pop, there are a couple of steps you need to take to make sure you are being safe with it:
- Thoroughly wash your hands with soap. Go for a double cleanse if necessary. Then, pat them dry with a clean and dry towel.
- Wash your face with your regular face cleanser.
- Use an exfoliant for the face. Do not go for those harsh face scrubs. Instead, try out alpha hydroxy acids or beta hydroxy acids.
- Use a cotton pad and apply rubbing alcohol on the area of the whitehead.
Once you get the area clean, you may take these steps to pop the whitehead:
- Apply a warm and clean washcloth on the pimple for a good five minutes. When you do this, it would help make the skin soft and open the pores. This way, the contents would come out a lot easier.
- Take a small needle and sterilize it with rubbing alcohol.
- Poke in the middle of the whitehead very gently with the needle. In some of the cases, just a little poke is enough to get all the contents of the whitehead out.
- If the puss does not come out even then, wrap a tissue or a cotton pad around your fingertips.
- Now, with the padded fingers, very lightly push inward and down around the whitehead to put some pressure. This would make the contents come out.
- If the white head does not come out even after this, just stop with all the squeezing. The pimple may not be ready to come out yet.
It is important to remember not to use fingernails ever. There is a high chance that fingernails will pierce the skin. This would result in an injury and spreading of bacteria.
Extracting blackheads is a little different from extracting whiteheads. Hence, blackheads need a completely different strategy:
- Wash your hands and face in the very same way you did before. You may as well exfoliate using AHAs and BHAs.
- Apply a clean and warm washcloth on the area for a good five minutes.
- Use your fingers to put pressure on the blackhead in the same motion.
- Make sure you are not squeezing very close to the blackhead. This will make it harder for you to extract the blackhead. Rather, stay a bit away from it and move your fingers around it in clockwise motions to do the extraction from multiple angles.
- Once again, do not use your fingernails.
There are numerous tools that you may use. However, they are mainly used by dermatologists and aestheticians. Hence, it is better to leave the tools by themselves and stick to the plain manual methods.
The Bottom Line
I hope to have answered your question, “ is it ok to pop a pimple ?”
While it is necessarily not preferable to pop a pimple by yourself, there are instances which you cannot avoid. In that case, you need to pop them for good. Make sure you are taking all the effective measures and using all sterilized tools. This way, you can avoid any infection or scars that happen when you abruptly pop a pimple.
For More Informative Articles Click Below!!